So basically, this recipe is for the cake itself only. Filling depends on your preference, your préféré à tartiner au chocolat (favorite chocolate spread) [it can be Nutella! :D] or a simple homemade custard filling.
Let's get started! Ayt!
- 4 eggs, white and yolk seperated
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F). Grease a 15" by 10" jelly roll pan (or any jelly roll pan available in your household). Line with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Beat egg yolks, water, sugar and vanilla until light. Beat in remaining dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold egg whites into batter (yolk mixture). Spread batter evenly over prepared pan.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until cake starts to pull away from pan.
- Remove from oven and immediately dust it with icing sugar. Invert the cake onto cheese cloth/tea towel, carefully remove the parchment paper. Roll up the cake and let cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cooled cake and spread your desired filling. Roll it back again and refrigerate until ready to eat.
The finished product:
As you can see, icing sugar is really important so the cake won't stick to your towel/cloth or another baking paper. So make sure you never missed that on your To-bake shopping list! Happy baking!